Bigelow Tea on YouTube Subscribe Follow Me on Pinterest Follow Us on Instagram

Earl Grey Tea

What is Earl Grey tea?

Contrary to popular belief, Earl Grey is not a kind of tea at all. It’s actually plain black tea, infused with the citrus flavor of bergamot (similar to orange blossoms). The term “Earl Grey” is also applied to green and white teas containing this same flavor.

The tea is named after the 2nd Earl Grey, British Prime Minister in the 1830s, who, it is said, received as a gift tea flavored with bergamot oil.  As the legend goes, the tea was a thank you present from a Chinese mandarin whose son was rescued by one of Grey’s men.

Another notable, who enjoys Earl Grey, is Patrick Steward who played Jean-Luc Picard, Commander of the USS Enterprise-E, in the TV series Star Trek:  The Next Generation.

11 Responses to “Earl Grey Tea”

1. Kelly writes:

As Star Trek fan I knew that Picard enjoy his Earl Grey did he give Earl Grey once to Klington ambassor back in da day

Even one of Klington ambassor sisters was try seduce him by serve him Earl Grey LOL!

OH BOY I got too much Trek trivia in my head LOL!

2. Aaron writes:

I was wondering if Wal-Mart still uses the Bigelow tea plantation for its store-brand teas?

Thank you.

3. Valorie writes:

Aaron,

The American Classic Tea is only available as a “retail” item in Piggly Wiggly, Publix and Harris Teeter’s in South Carolina only.

Thanks for your comment,

Valorie for Bigelow Tea

4. Beth writes:

Very interested to hear the origins of Earl Grey tea. Having just bought a box of Bigelow Spiced Chai at my daughter’s request last week, I would also be interested in hearing about chai– what is it, how is it pronounced (I have a hunch but I avoid saying it just in case I’m off), what are the different varieties etc. I imagine there is a high degree of correlation between people who drink chai and people who blog. Sipping my first chai has been the perfact tea pairing for writing my first blog.

5. Valorie writes:

Beth,

Thanks so much for leaving a comment on our blog. Glad to hear you are loving your chai tea.

Stay tuned…we will put out an entry on Chai (a mysterious blend of spices from India)…thanks for the idea.

Happy blogging,

Valorie for Bigelow Tea

6. Kelly writes:

I think funniest thing that Capt Picard drinking Earl Grey Tea Q said that drinking tea so overated

Excuse me Q what you know about overatness HELLO

7. Kelly writes:

Well Beth I could tell you about Chai tea it was developed by Turks during Otterman empire they one the discover it they felt that Chinese tea that Mongolains drank wasn’t good enough ROFL

8. adam writes:

Juile,

Nice post, but you have your facts reversed on Patrick Stewart. He is the actor who played Jean-Luc Picard. Not the other way around.

9. Valorie writes:

Julie…you are so right…thanks for commenting!

Valorie for Bigelow Tea

10. Molly Liddie writes:

For awhile,I was concerned Star Trek was a perishing franchise. Then JJ Abrams came along. Good touch. The scene with kid Kirk was a bit too quirky in the film, nevertheless it was hot in the movie trailer. Star Trek XI breathed new life into this beloved Roddenberry world. I’d like to see all of this Enterprise cast recurrence for extra outings. I was raised with the classic series. Heck, my father got us a color Television just so we could enjoy Star Trek just about every Friday afternoon. At this point, I’m stuck on these new characters. In MHO, they have breathed life into their characters and made them their very own. I, for example, am getting excited about more.

11. Kelly writes:

Hey Molly they coming out with another Star Trek movie with same cast members from reboot movie series it come out I think next year or 2012 I read it on Hollywood reporter site