Happy National Pie Day! Pair it with our #FrenchVanilla black tea for the most appePIEzing treat! #TeaProudly
Archives for posts tagged ‘Green Tea’
Monday, 23 January 2017 by Bigelow Tea
Friday, 20 January 2017 by Jenn
Tea is second only to water as the most consumed beverage in the world which doesn’t surprise any avid tea drinker given the importance the beverage holds in many cultures, whether it’s a hearty daily tradition, a treat for a special ceremony, or a therapeutic blend to soothe and comfort. On any given day, over 158 million Americans alone are drinking tea and we are proud to be a part of this thriving community and honored that as a third generation family business, Bigelow Tea continues to be part of the tea lovers’ community decades after the creation of the one and only “Constant Comment”®. Today, we offer over 130 flavors that will please any palate, but for National Hot Tea Month, what better time to get back to our roots by honoring this remarkable and historic tea that’s still a source of “Constant Comments” among all tea fans!
In case you aren’t familiar, here is the story of how Bigleow Tea got started: it all began in 1945 when Ruth Campbell Bigelow started on her mission to create a better cup of tea than what was commonly offered at the time. She was inspired by an early Colonial recipe that used orange rind and sweet spices. After tireless hours spent creating her own special blend, she shared it with friends who couldn’t stop commenting, and hence the name “Constant Comment” tea. Ruth knew she was on to something with her blend and took “Constant Comment”® to every store she could. One shopkeeper told Ruth that he had been opening the container for customers to take a whiff of the incredible aroma, and it was flying off the shelves! Ruth took this idea one step further and set up a jar of “Constant Comment”® in each case of tea, with the directions to “open and whiff.” Shops across the country placed this little jar by their cash registers and sales grew. Jump ahead to today, over 70 years later, and here we are, a tea company beyond Ruth’s wildest dreams!
To this day, “Constant Comment”® is the same wonderful recipe that third generation president and CEO Cindi Bigelow’s grandmother, Ruth Campbell Bigelow, first created. It has stood the test of time and we know it will continue to fill cups and hearts for many more decades to come. Amazing when you think how this special product started on the shelves of local shops, and today it’s still a source of constant comments all over the Web… and the world! If you’re a fan of “Constant Comment” tea, Bigelow Tea or tea overall, you’ll love hearing Cindi Bigelow herself tell this story of this original creation while sharing more about her personal (and professional) love of tea!
Tell us, what was the first “comment” you had when you tried “Constant Comment” for the very first time? Tag anywhere online with #TeaProudly so we can share in the fun.
Wednesday, 18 January 2017 by Jenn
Ahhh-chooo! Yep, that is the sound of a darn cold (or worse) that always seems to happen right about now! Shout out to Bigelow for providing some tea relief! When feeling crappy, there seems to be nothing that can help as much as sipping (or chugging if things are really bad) a steaming mug of some of the best flavors of tea on the face of the earth. Hot tea just has a way of helping you out when you are down, right? We’re tea fans 100%, but we especially love how a hot mug rocks during cold and flu season…here are a few more tea tips to think about before, during and after this nasty cold season:
- Hot tea may soothe a sore throat and for sure can warm you up when you’re feeling achy and chilly. And check out the Bigelow teas with ginger as an ingredient, such as Lemon Ginger Herbal tea. The spicy-sweetness is terrific for feeling warm fast and history proves that ginger was used over 3000 years ago for medicinal purposes so go for it even if you don’t have a cold!
- A cup of tea a day keeps the doctor away? Maybe just maybe! Black tea might help your body defend bacteria and viruses, according to research from Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard University. Drink up and drink often for the most benefits (you didn’t have to tell us that advice twice!)
- We love how different flavors help us in different ways! We’re all about lemon-y tastes such as Benefits Lemon and Echinacea Herbal Tea when our throat hurts, and Cozy Chamomile® Herbal Tea for helping us to chill out. Awesome!!
So what’s your go-to tea when a cold or the flu has got you down for the count? Tag with #TeaProudly so we can all try your best tips!
Friday, 13 January 2017 by Cecilia
Oat-M-G, did someone say oatmeal?! January is actually Oatmeal Month, and Bigelow Tea has some new ways to jazz up this breakfast fave! Here’s an awesome idea from @fightforlifelauren (pictured above): Instead of using hot water, make your oatmeal with Bigelow Tea Apple Cider Herbal Tea. Then, add some toppings. Lauren went with cinnamon, apple slices (she microwaved hers with cinnamon), nut butter, pomegranate seeds, a drizzle of honey. Sounds delicious, right?
Another super yummy option is to prepare your oatmeal with Lemon Lift like @healthyliving.lc did. Then, add it to a bowl of Greek yogurt and top with fresh bananas, raspberries, flaxseed, granola, pumpkin butter, and any other toppings you might enjoy. Gosh, talk about reinventing a bowl of oatmeal—it’s obviously all in the toppings these days, friends.
Don’t have a lot of time to prep a bowl of oatmeal? Spend a weekend afternoon making a batch of muffins to grab and go on your busiest mornings. Here are two recipes to try. Mmmm…. You won’t regret them!
For the Muffins:
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brewed Bigelow Orange and Spice Herbal Tea (two bags)
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- zest from one orange
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, sliced
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
For the Glaze:
- 3 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons brewed Bigelow Orange and Spice Herbal Tea (1 tea bag)
For the Muffins:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line muffin pans with 24 cupcake liners OR 11 2 3/4-inch x 2-inch cupcake molds
In a medium bowl add the oats, brewed tea, milk and orange zest.
Stir to combine and set aside for 20 minutes.
Place sliced cranberries in a small bowl, sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over cranberries and set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add the eggs and oil to the oatmeal mixture; stir to combine.
Add the oatmeal mixture to the flour mixture; stir until combined.
Fold in cranberries.
Scoop into prepared muffin pans.
TIP: For regular size muffins use an ice cream scoop. For the larger size cupcake molds use 2 ice cream scoops.
Bake regular size 20 to 25 minutes AND large 30 to 35 minutes.
Cool on rack.
For the Glaze:
Cream together the cream cheese and butter.
Mix in vanilla.
Blend in the sugar.
Add the tea 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches a drizzle consistency.
Use a large spoon and drizzle over muffins.
- 10 bags Bigelow Ginger Snappish Herbal Tea with Lemon
- 1 cup boiling water
- ⅔ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup tea concentrate
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon Xanthan Gum**
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dried currants
- 2 tablespoons sugar
*Use Gluten Free certified Oats to be totally Gluten Free when making this recipe
Place tea bags in a 1-cup glass measure. Add water to equal 1 cup. Steep tea for 10 minutes. Squeeze all liquid from tea bags into cup. Discard tea bags. Heat oven to 350 F. Spray 12-cup muffin tins with baking spray; set aside. In large mixing bowl add brown sugar, vegetable oil, molasses, and eggs. Mix at high speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy (1 to 2 minutes). Add tea concentrate and ginger. Continue mixing at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (1 minute). In medium bowl stir together gluten-free flour, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, Xanthan Gum, and salt. Add to tea mixture. Mix just until moistened. Stir in currants. Fill muffin tins about ⅔ full. Sprinkle top of each muffin with about ½ teaspoon sugar. Bake until very light brown (14 to 18 minutes) or until wooden pick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool.
If you have your own amazing recipes or just want to share your love of a hot mug of tea, don’t forget to tag either with #TeaProudly so we can all get in on the fun!!
Wednesday, 11 January 2017 by Cecilia
There’s no question how much we love tea at Bigelow. As a proud third generation family run business, founder Ruth Campbell Bigelow created our flagship “Constant Comment” tea in 1945 and from that moment on, we have reinvented tea in America, one tea bag at a time. How, you may ask? Simple. We’ve been providing tea drinkers with a selection of more than 130 flavors of black, green, oolong, and herbal teas using premium ingredients and foil pouches for each tea bag. We’re still American-made, we’re still the same family, and we’re always dedicated to giving you the highest quality, most delicious cup of tea. That’s our promise. And that’s what makes us #TeaProudly!
#TeaProudly is a celebration for tea drinkers who take pride in even the littlest of tea drinking moments. Because at Bigelow, we take pride in everything we do — like this super cool new video which explains it all.
Just as we love tea, we also love a good game of “I Spy.” Wanna play? Check out the video and see if you can answer all five questions! Find our answers (if you can’t guess them yourself) on our Instagram.
- Which tea flavor pouch is opened at the beginning of the video?
- Under our logo on the side of our building, is a defining phrase….what is it?
- What’s at least one thing that we are dedicated to giving you more of?
- What do we use to protect our tea bags?
- Which fruit is featured?
Join in on the tea conversation at www.teaproudly.com and tag your special moments using #TeaProudly
Monday, 9 January 2017 by Jenn
If January has gotten the best of you (freezing weather, fevers and colds, oh my!) don’t cry the blues cause Bigelow Tea is all set to make the month a whole heck of a lot better. Check out all of the excitement….some serious #TeaProudly good news:
- It’s National Hot Tea Month!! Yeah, we agree, who needs an excuse to drink more tea…but we will take it anyway! NHTM is the perfect excuse to indulge in your fav beverage even more than usual!
- And hey, we know you know this but just a reminder that tea is totally awesome on a cold, gloomy day, plus it helps soothe those scratchy throats and icky aches and pains that drive us all into hiding after the holidays!
- Speaking of feeling sniffle-y and craving some comfort and warmth, those crazy calendars out there also say it’s National Soup Month woohoo!! If you’re looking to really heat things up this month, we have the ultimate soup recipes made with, guess what?, Bigelow Tea! Help get over winter boredom with these fabulous (and easy! Because let’s face it- you’re feeling too “yuck” to spend too much time in the kitchen!) soup recipes that will become your go-to staples every winter season!
4 cups water
4 bags Bigelow Green Tea
1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
1 teaspoons freshly grated ginger root
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
2 shredded carrots
7 ounces Soba Stir Fry noodles*
¼ cup chopped green onions (white and green parts)
⅛ cup fresh minced cilantro
Optional: dash of hot sauce or Sriracha
Bring water, tea bags, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and vinegar to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove tea bags. Add in carrots (I like them with crunch, if you prefer softer, throw them in at the beginning of cooking process) and soba noodles. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until noodles have warmed through. Serve with green onions, cilantro and a dash of hot sauce if desired.
2 cups hot water
3*Bigelow® Ginger Snappish Tea Bags
1 cooked, skinless, boneless chicken breast (approx. ½ pound)
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced (½ cup)
½ cup dried fine egg noodles
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
Combine 2 cups of hot water and 3 Bigelow® Ginger Snappish Tea Bags and allow to steep for approximately 5 minutes. Meanwhile, using 2 forks, shred the cooked chicken breast. Use one fork to anchor the chicken breast to the cutting board, while using the other fork to ‘scrape’ the chicken into shreds. This is easily achieved if you shred along the grain of the chicken breast. Alternately, you may simply cut the breast into bite-sized pieces. In a medium saucepan or soup pot, combine the chicken broth and the tea over high heat. Add the garlic, carrots, shredded chicken and noodles. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for approximately 7 to 10 minutes, or until carrots are tender and noodles are cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped parsley and adjust seasonings as necessary. Ladle into bowls and serve hot. Note: To make this soup ahead of time, proceed as directed but omit the noodles and the fresh parsley. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 days, or freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to serve, pour into a medium saucepan, add noodles, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until noodles are cooked and soup is heated through. Adjust seasonings, add fresh parsley and serve.
Friday, 6 January 2017 by Cecilia
December has come and gone, but the 12 days of Christmas are still being celebrated by lots of people and their families excitedly awaiting “Three Kings’ Day” on January 6. Bigelow Tea loves any reason for a family gathering, so we’re proud to recognize this special day. For the Hispanic community and many others, Three Kings Day, or Los Reyes Magos, is one of the most important holidays of the Latin world, commemorating the “three wise men” that followed the star to Bethlehem, bringing gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.
Celebrated twelve days after Christmas, Three Kings Day is also known as Epiphany. While children may still get gifts on December 25th, Three Kings Day also rewards them with presents and candy for being good. Festivities like community parades and a three-day celebration at Disneyland take place around the globe. In Mexico, thousands gather each year to taste a mile-long “Rosca de Reyes” (Kings’ Bread). Many families choose to make the holiday favorite at home honoring the tradition to hide a baby Jesus figurine within the bread — the person who finds it must make tamales on February 2, the Day of the Candles. How neat is that?!
Three Kings Day is such a special day for so many families, and we love that. Family is such an important part of our lives — and the fabric of our company. So, as you celebrate Three Kings Day this year, remember that our teas can be a yummy complement to a slice of Kings’ Bread. Brew a pot of Te de Manzanilla Menta de Hierbas or Chamomile Mango Herbal Tea! You can also enjoy one of these recipes that embrace the Hispanic influences of Three Kings Day: Roasted Pork Chops Pomegranate Pizzazz® over Mashed Plantains, and Chamomile-Mango Tres Leches.
Will you be celebrating Three Kings Day this year? Did your family recognize the holiday when you were growing up? Tell us all about it! What was your favorite memory? Don’t forget to tag your story with #TeaProudly so that we can learn about your special moments celebrating this special day.
Top image by by Nate Bolt via Flickr.
With The Arrival Of A New Year And January Being Hot Tea Month Coupled With This Awesome Bigelow Tea Benefits Gift Set, We Have A Party In The House!
Wednesday, 4 January 2017 by Jenn
Baby, it’s cold outside, but inside you’ll feel warm, cozy, and rejuvenated all year long with Bigelow Tea’s newest line of wellness teas, Bigelow Benefits. These amazing teas are all about offering wellness solutions for every day. And while your body is enjoying some amazing benefits, your taste buds will thank you once again for awesome tea flavors that rock! Drink proudly to be your best every day – we think that’s a great resolution to make for the new year while livin’ the #TeaProudly life!
And hey, while each box of tea is perfect on its own, check out this new set of Bigelow BENEFITS…it truly redefines wellbeing. The flavors can be enjoyed any time of day for whenever you need a boost! And don’t think you need to sip alone! Who wouldn’t want to grab a mug and join you for one or all of these flavors:
Containing aloe (known for its incredible hydration and skin soothing abilities) and blueberry (yummy andhigh in antioxidants!) this flavor is designed to make you feel all glowy inside and out!
The season of overindulging is over, but your body may still be feeling the after effects. Get back to balance with the sweetness of cinnamon, known for having a positive effect on blood sugar.
Give your mind and body a pick-me-up with spicy-sweet turmeric, green tea, and a bit of pepper to pep things up.
Whether you are having fun with the fact that January is National Hot Tea Month, cold and flu season has hit you hard, or you want to enjoy the most yummy tea on earth, treat yourself to this boxed set that includes everything to feel fabulous every day of the month (and every month of the year). Celebrate your love of tea while getting the new year off on the right foot, and tell us, which tea you are most excited to incorporate into your day. Tag your thoughts with #TeaProudly so we can share in your joy of happy tea drinking! Cheers!
Monday, 2 January 2017 by Cecilia
The colder it gets, the more we want to bundle up with a mug of tea! And, hey, what better month to do that than January which is National Hot Tea Month, right?! If you’re wondering how best to rock this tea party season, sharing a cup of Bigelow Tea with your favorite peeps is a great way to begin. National Hot Tea Month is also a great excuse to sip more tea and enjoy it over good conversation. And if you needed one more reason to celebrate tea this January (and every other month of the year), we’ll do one better—we’ll give you 10!
Reasons to Celebrate Tea
- Tea tastes amazing. And we promise that every cup of Bigelow Tea you drink will be made with only the finest ingredients.
- Research suggests that when it comes to tea, the benefits go far beyond refreshment. For example, the theanine in tea is a natural support for mood, sleep and mental focus!
- A cup of tea is guilt-free! Tea can be a healthy and flavorful part of any diet—it’s zero calories and most of our flavors are also gluten-free!
- Tea is a common thread around the world. In the U.S. alone, millions of us share a love for tea. Historically, while tea holds a special place in many cultures near and far, today we consider tea drinking a proud American tradition!
- Can we say tea party? No longer the exclusive property of ladies in gloves and big hats, tea parties can be fun and even cool. Are you ready to get your tea party on?
- Hydration, hydration, hydration. Tea makes it easy.
- Tea is sooo versatile. Some teas get you going. Some teas keep you going. And some teas are much more effective than counting sheep.
- Sip by sip, a cup of tea can be incredibly relaxing.
- Tea is the perfect conversation-starter. Ever say to someone, “Let me put the kettle on and let’s talk”? Sharing a cup of tea is a wonderful—and easy—way to get something off your chest, catch up or simply talk about your day.
- Tea is warm and cozy—it soothes souls, connects people, invites conversations and makes memories. In life, it doesn’t get much better than that.
Make tea part of your month and when you do, tell us about it! Join our #TeaProudly community, a welcoming place that keeps all tea lovers connected. Join us at www.teaproudly.com and tag your special moments using #TeaProudly.
Be social. Share. Sip. Enjoy.
Friday, 30 December 2016 by Cecilia
Before you go on to make 2017 the *BEST YEAR YET*, hold on just a sec. As we wrap up 2016, let’s take a moment to reflect on the year—the good, the bad, the great, and the fab. Actually, if you’re up for it, why not start a new tradition this New Year’s Eve? Grab some friends or your family members, sit down at the kitchen table with mugs of Bigelow Tea, and look back over the last 12 months. Connect with your loved ones over conversation and create one more special memory for 2016. You’ll be surprised at what you learn—about others and yourself. We’ve even got a list of questions to get you started.
Reflecting on 2016
- Describe a day from this year that you could live over and over again.
- What was the most important conversation you had this year?
- What did you or your family accomplish this year that you are most proud of?
- What was your favorite tea flavor?
- Share the best piece of advice you received this year.
- What was the hardest day of your year?
- Did you prefer your tea hot or iced this year?
- Choose three words to describe your year.
- How would someone at the table describe your year in three words?
- What was a lesson you learned this year?
- What was your favorite family vacation or place to visit?
- What goals did you meet this year?
- Where was your favorite place to enjoy a cup of tea?
- How was your family supportive this past year?
- What was something nice you did for someone?
- What was your favorite book to read?
- What does your family need to do more of in 2017?
- What made you laugh the hardest this year?
- What are you most excited about for in the upcoming year?
- What did you love most about being in your family this past year?
What other questions will you add to the list? Tell us and share your photos of your “reflection session” by tagging #TeaProudly!
From our family to yours, we hope you have an awesome New Year. Bring it on, 2017!